1. North Korea: The country’s internet access has long been blocked so there is no social media platform to communicate to the rest of the world.
2. China & Iran: Due to political disorder within their borders, these countries blocked Facebook, Twitter and Youtube.
3. Eritrea: This country has been reported to be a censored country, which blocked Youtube.
4. Pakistan: This country reportedly refused to remove a politically chaged video in 2012 and continues to block Youtube to this day.
5. Vietnam: The reports from Vietnam suggests that Facebook has been blocked for several years.
This data was compiled with help from Google’s transparency report, Twitter, and the OpenNet Initiative, a partnership between the University of Toronto, Harvard, and the SecDev Group in Ottawa. It doesn’t take into account countries where only certain pages or videos may be censored.
Culled from MOTHERJONES.COM AND Lauren Dugarn March 31, 2014.
Follow us on Twitter @freethewebng. Also Like us on Facebook